We saw this recipe when one of our Facebook friends shared it. We NEVER have all the ingredients a recipe calls for. And, we love showing you how to substitute with ease. We subbed Greek raspberry yogurt for the plain yogurt. We ran out of vanilla extract, so we used pure lemon extract. We didn’t have enough chocolate to make a 1/2 cup so we threw in some peanut butter cups. You could use chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
The muffins are super moist and flavorful. I think the raspberry yogurt and extra PB cup gave them an extra punch. If Soph wasn’t enjoying stirring so much, I would definitely have used the mixer. It’s an easy recipe and I hope you enjoy these kinda healthy chocolate chunk banana muffins as much as we are. Kids are here after school, right now, as I type, and they are eating them up!
1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups mashed bananas (3 medium bananas)
4 Tablespoons honey
1 Tablespoon lemon extract
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup chocolate chunks, chips, or other chocolate candy bar
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 24 cup mini muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a bowl whisk dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl added mashed bananas, add honey, oil, vanilla, Greek yogurt and egg. Mix until well combined and smooth. You can use electric mixer or whisk by hand.
- Add dry ingredients and mix (or whisk)until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate.
- Fill muffin tin with batter almost to the top. Bake until the toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out almost clean (with a few crumbs attached). It takes 12-15 minutes for mini muffins.
- Cool the muffins as long as you can wait. Then, eat them while they are still warm and the chocolate is gooey.